Morehead State University has a 133-year history of educating students and was seen by its founders Frank and Phebe Button as “a light to the mountains.” Morehead Normal School was founded in 1887 to train teachers, and that mission continued when it became a public college in 1922, Morehead State Normal School. The state institution accepted its first students in 1923 and graduated its first class in 1927. Name changes occurred in 1926 when “and Teachers College” was added, again in 1930 when it became Morehead State Teachers College, and in 1948 as it became Morehead State College. MSU earned university status in 1966.
Preparing teachers has always been a critical part of MSU’s mission. This STATEMENT magazine issue highlights the work of faculty and students in MSU’s Ernst and Sara Lane Volgenau College of Education, outstanding alumni who are educators, and generous donors who make this work possible. Morehead State continues to be a “light to the mountains” and well beyond.
For more information about programs in the Volgenau College of Education, visit www.moreheadstate.edu/education.
To learn more about MSU’s history, visit www.moreheadstate.edu/About/History.